Dec 2, 2010

It Wasn't Teething

Ah, it's been a rough couple of days. It all started Sunday night when Silas started complaining that his mouth hurt. We had experienced some low-grade fevers, nasty poops, and a runny nose in the last week, so I naturally assumed that it was teething- probably the 2-year molars. I surveyed his mouth and didn't see anything unusual nor did I see symptoms anywhere else on his body so I just went with the teething diagnosis.  Well, as the week went on, the fussiness and irritability reached at an all-time high. Silas was refusing to eat and even crying when he sucked his pacifier. His sleep patters were also becoming erratic. I was at my wits end so I finally made a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. Come to find out, Silas had contracted a virus that causes ulcers in the mouth. Silas' ulcers were concentrated in the very back of his throat so I was unable to see them. As the doctor began explaining the other symptoms, everything started making sense. I felt really bad for not taking him in sooner, but in reality, even if I had, there's really nothing that can be done for the virus except give pain meds, which I had already tried. Thankfully this virus only lasts 4-5 days so Silas was near recovery by the time we saw the doctor. Today has been MUCH better, and I think we're finally getting our happy toddler back. I'm hoping we can make it through the rest of the winter without any more weird sicknesses!

On the road to recovery,



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016